Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Black and Whites

I just woke up from my Sunday afternoon nap. mmmm. :) As such, I always like to treat waking up from a nap the same way I would waking up in the mornings - cereal and a comforting movie or TV show. Now, "comforting"  is different for many people - Eric for example, is comforted by watching some form of ESPN sports in the morning. I however, enjoy old movies or shows - a favorite show in the mornings is "I Love Lucy" which I can watch whenever I want, thanks to my dear sweet mother-in-law, who gave me two seasons of "I Love Lucy" for my birthday. :) This is usually a favorite on Saturday mornings, and in fact, Saturdays never quite feel complete without the humor of Lucile Ball in the mornings! I still find myself cracking up at her even though I have seen several of the episodes more than once.
One episode that I have been looking for is the episode where Ricky and Fred take Lucy and Ethel golfing, but teach them phony rules in hopes that the girls will never want to play golf with their husbands again. This episode seems especially funny to me now that I am married to a golf fanatic  myself, and can feel Lucy's "pain" sometimes. I once quoted some of the lines from it to Eric while we were at the driving range and ever since, I've been wanting to find it so I could show it to him.

This is a picture of when Ricky was teaching Lucy how to hold the golfclub. It's pretty funny.
This however is not necessarily why I thought to write this. I am actually watching "Singing in the Rain"  right now. I have been wanting to watch it since last weeks's episode of "So You Think You Can Dance" where one of the the couples danced to "Make 'em Laugh". It's such a classic. Gene Kelly was an amazing actor, dancer, and singer. He is one of my favorites, along with Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Kathrine Hepburn, Rock Hudson, Frank Sinatra, and Doris Day. Pretty much any movie they are in is going to be good - not the case with actors today. I think this is one of many reasons why I love old movies so much better than newer movies - not that I don't enjoy going to the movies, there's just a sence of comfort in watching a classic.
I think one of the main reasons I love these movies so much is because I grew up with them. I have several memories of watching old movies with my family. Old movies are just, well classy. The way the men are such gentlemen, so devonare - Cary Grant especially comes to mind - makes me melt. The women are so classy and chic - Audrey Hepburn comes to mind. The movies are so clean, which I am sure that is why my parents showed them to us as kids - they're safe. Everything was black and white then. Night Clubs were classy places, not trashy. Sometimes I wish life were still like that. Simple, Black and White.

 





















Audrey Hepburn - so classic Cary Grant - Oh so handsome.

One of these days I'll get Eric to enjoy watching them with me, and to appreciate how special these movies are. They are timeless.  I am always excited when I find other classic movie lovers, and get somewhat excited when I'm home alone and can watch TMC to see what black and white is on.

No comments:

Post a Comment