Pages

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Open to New Friendships

Thought I'd try this blogging thing out. I've always got these thoughts rolling around in my head, and even though I am married to my best friend, I am not ever able to get my words out in the way that I feel and hear them in my head. I have really never been able to speak my thoughts without sounding crazy to myself. I used to journal a lot, but I hate writing - which is no good since I am going to be teaching 4th grade writing next year! I also thought this would be a good way to keep my family up to date on my life since I live so far away from them - that has been tough. I've always been the independent one of the three of us, but being with Eric's family 24-7 makes me miss my family even more. I especially miss my sister - just having a close friend to come over when I'm alone and watch chick flicks with me and drink coffee. I miss that.

This has been a great first year of marriage, but in many ways it's been hard too. I've had to adjust to a new city, a new job, learning to cook - which is not my cup of tea, and dealing with being away from all of my family and friends - toughest of all.

I guess the reason that the main point of this first post is a little sad is that I am watching "Bride Wars" as I am typing, and wishing that I had a best friend close to me. I miss that so much, and although I've made friends here - my Tuesday night girls group has been a God send - Best friends are friendships that are cultivated over time and through many experiences. Just gotta be patient.

Here are some ways God has blessed me throuhg friendship this year:

1. My Tuesday Night girls bible study group - it's been great to get to know a group of God loving women.
2. My teaching team at school - 3 of us are around the same age, and have really hit it off this year. They are also Christians, so it has been refreshing to share our Faith with each other at work. Now that the summer has started, we have been trying to do things together, and that has been great.
3. Bonnie - my best friend from Harding. We have kept in touch, which is big for me, because I am horrible at that, and I have really enjoyed being able to talk with her and catch up every now and then.
4. My Husband - My BEST FRIEND. He is always willing to listen - and is a great listener. He is so good to me, and I am so thankful for his friendship - especially through this first year out on my own. Couldn't have made it without him.

Over all, I need to stop wishing my friends were here with me, and be open to new friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment