Pages

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Houston, Texas - Home of the Texans

I can't think of many other times that I've been so excited for a team.   With dad being a coach,  I grew up with football - high school football.  We never really got that into a college or pro team though.  The last time I can remember rooting on a pro team was when the Dallas Stars won the Stanley cup - wow.

Even though I did grow up with football, I've never learned as much about football as I have from Eric - he knows his stuff.  I know if I ask him a football question he's gonna be able to explain it to where it makes sense - especially when it comes to the Texans.  This should really be a post from him, because everything I know about the Texans, I've learned from Eric! 

When it comes to watching sports, I don't get that into it unless I know some of the players playing - or know about them.  I loved watching my high school football team when my brother played, or when I knew some of the kids my dad coached - like DJ Williams who now plays for the Packers (just had to throw that out there - hehe).  I hadn't been all that much into the Texans until this year.  I began to watch the games with Eric, and he would tell me all about the players and where they'd been before and what they're like.  Little by little my interest in the Texans began to grow to pride!

A turning point for me was quite possibly when Eric showed me this hilarious video of Brian Cushing mic'd up:


He soon became my favorite player to watch.  He is just so crazy funny.  Can you imagine actually spending time with this guy??  My sides would be splitting!  Not only is he funny, but did you see how hard he hits?!  I will never understand how those guys stand up and walk off after a hit like that!



My love for this team grew as they battled through so many injuries this year, but still came out on top!  That's incredible.  I even started following them on the Texans app that Eric downloaded!  I know, who am I?? 

Any other team that I ever "cared" about I could probably name one player, and that was probably the QB if we're talking about football.  Any other sport it's the hottie (Still bummed about Shane Battier and Hunter Pence leaving - now who do I watch??).  I know so many (for my standards) of these Texans, I can't decide on a jersey (although I'll probably go with Cushing).  I decided I REALLY liked T.J. Yates and Kevin Walter (NOT WalterS) after this awesome play in the last 8 seconds of the game against the Bengals to clinch the AFC South title (video is like 9 min, and the play isn't till minute 6 of the video):


Obviously I love Andre Johnson, and Arian Foster, but let's not forget about J.J. Watt and his pick six - he apparently does that a lot in practice against Jake Delhomme, our new back-up, back-up, back-up QB. Then there's Jacoby, and Johnathan Joseph - awesome, and BEN TATE!!  Oh yeah, and I love Conner Barwin and Brooks Reed - crazy long haired freak.

How do I choose one jersey??  Most stores I've been in only have Andre Johnson and Arian Foster Jerseys - if anything now!!   

After a season of rooting on the Texans, it was awesome to see them win the AFC South Championship, and we so almost went to Reliant to meet them when they came home.  We watched it on TV later and regretted it.  Houston is so awesome!  Check this out:



It really is so awesome to see a city so hyped up for a game.  This Saturday, people were sportin their jerseys early!  Eric and I went to Star Cinema Grill to watch with our sweet friends Ruben and Ashley...wow, so awesome.  It was so much better than watching at home - we had the big screen and 200 screaming fans around us.  It was incredible.  Eric said it was the best day of his life, and it was pretty awesome, but I really wish he could've actually been at the game.  He would of LOVED it!

Well, I think I will need to get my Cushing jersey before next week's game - definitely will have to go to Star Cinema again.  I just hope Andre catches a few more balls....and Cushing gets another bloody nose! :)

I love this song with clips that Eric showed me! 



1 comment: