Pages

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Years Resolutions 2012

Someone told me that resolutions stick when written down, so here's me writing mine down. :)

1. I need to get back in my running routine.  It's been too long, and I need to do it on a daily basis.
2. SAVE MONEY!!!  I think we need a Dave Ramsey review! YIKES!
2. Say "No".  Let me explain.  This has been the most stressful year yet - I thought my fourth year was supposed to be easier.  It's stressful because I have taken on so many extra jobs, and I am going non-stop.  I really don't feel like I'm enjoying life at all right now.  I've been working towards having a career, and I now realize that I just want a job.  I want to go to work, and come home and not think about work until I get up the next morning.
As it is I get to work by 6:30, and don't leave work until 5:30 or 6 most days, and THEN come home and work on more work, or just crash on the couch.  This is probably the biggest reason I haven't been running, and order pizza at least twice a week.
Well, after enjoying a nice relaxing break with family, I realized this has got to stop.  I have never been dreading going back to work as I am now.  I am usually kinda ready after two weeks out of a routine. Right now I am teaching all subjects in fourth grade - which is stressful enough since I have to prepare them for THREE tests.  I am also the Reading coach which means on Wednesdays I prepare plans for my class, and I am out working with other teachers in all grade levels - this means I have to be somewhat of an expert in what all of the other grade levels are doing AS WELL AS mine.  It's stressful feeling like you have to be the expert, so I read and study up on things a lot during my free time. As part of this, I also normally prepare something for our faculty meetings on Thursdays - it's stressful preparing something to present in front of teachers - the worst listeners.  I have also been working on writing curriculum for the district in Reading and Writing.  This I do from home.  I have also been preparing workshops for Dickinson ISD.  So whereas last year my role was - Reading and Writing Teacher, this year my roles are:
Reading, Writing, Math, Science, Social Studies Teacher
Fourth Grade Team Leader
Reading Coach
Curriculum Writer
Staff Development Presenter

I am thoroughly burned out.  I have decided that next year I will do one job only.  I want to enjoy life.

Well will see if I follow through with these or not.  So far so good...well on the running thing anyways.  I might need to buy new clothes when I get back in shape. ;)

4 comments:

  1. Hey Heather the SAME thing happened to me last year. I took on WAY too much and got burnt out. However I quit teaching completely and used my management degree instead. I completely sympathize with you. I will be sending prayers for you that the rest of this year will go a little more smoothly and less stressful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like your plate is way too full! First step is recognizing it, and after you make it through this semester, maybe some reevaluating is a good idea. They are so lucky to have you, so they'll use you again and again when they can. Don't let them "use you up."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teachers are SO the worst listeners!!! That line made me snort in agreement!
    Good luck with all of your resolutions. It sounds like you've got some really great ones, and you've inspired me to make a more focused list myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to encourage you to "Just say No" when you need to. Debi is right, you are so talented and I certainly don't want you to get burned out because kids and teachers need people like you. It is OK to say NO.

    ReplyDelete