Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

A favorite Classic

When I got up this morning, and got my coffee, I turned on the TV, but really didn't want to watch the typical morning show this time.  I felt like a comfort show/movie, and when I feel the need for comfort in the morning, that usually means an old classic like "I Love Lucy".
So I opened our entertainment center, planning on pulling out my I Love Lucy set, when I spotted the CD case from my Dad.
A few Christmases ago, my Dad burned all of the old movies we grew up watching onto DVDs for each of us, and put them in a CD case.  I opened it up, and pulled out one off my "old"-time favorites,
Take Me Out to the Ballgame.


This is set in the early 1900s.  The plot revolves around an American League team, The Wolves, and three of it's players O'Brian (Gene Kelley), Ryan (Frank Sinatra), who also happen to be part time vaudevillians.  The team is up in arms in the beginning upon hearing that their new owner, K.C. Higgins (Esther Williams), is none other than a woman.   Once it becomes apparent that she is not only beautiful, but knows her baseball, Obrian and Ryan both fall for her.  Ryan, however becomes the object of the affections of an adoring fan, Shirley (Betty Garrett).  The film is filled with humor and song, a true American classic.
I just love a movie with an all-star cast, especially when it includes Gene Kelley and Frank Sinatra!  Esther Williams was a famous synchronized swimmer, and actress, and I used to love to try to imitate her in the pool when I was little!  Betty Garrett is hilarious, and adds such great humor to the film.
Take Me Out to the Ballgame is definitely a good classic to curl up with on a Saturday morning (or Monday morning in the summertime!).

2 comments:

  1. Don't think I have ever seen this one. Sounds like a really good one! I bet Mother would love to borrow some of your classics while she is still recovering at home. Your dad was really sweet to make all those CD's for you--great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet she would! I'll hafta offer them up to her!

    ReplyDelete