Pages

Friday, July 29, 2011

First attempt: Pillow sham

I've been wanting a cute decorative pillow for the bed in my guest bedroom.  Hobby Lobby had some super cute Burlap Paris Themed pillows, but I didn't want to pay $30 for one.  I love the look of burlap, and it's so cheap.  
I still had some of the black and white ticking fabric left over from my headboard, so I decided to use that to keep with the theme, and add a little square of burlap on the front.  I wanted the burlap to have some sort of Paris design on it, but still simple.  So, I googled Paris Text, and found the word "Paris" written in a cute font.  I enlarged it to where I wanted it, and printed it out.  Burlap is pretty transparent, so I just laid it over the paper, and traced with a sharpie.



Here's how it turned out.  I pinned it to the fabric, and then stitched it on.


To make the sham, I took two pieces for the back side, and folded and pressed an edge on each.  
I stitched those edges.


Next, I overlapped the edges so that the front piece would be in the center.  To do this, I measured how long the piece should be.  This pillow was 18 x 18, so I needed the length here to be 19".  I made sure the front seam was at about 9".  I didn't take a picture of the next step, but I just stitched the top and bottom to make sure the pieces stayed together.
Afterwards I sewed it together like any other pillow. 


Here is the finished product:

FRONT:


BACK:


Here's how it looks with my headboard:








2 comments:

  1. Bonjour Paris! How I love this pillow--you are really clever, never would have thought that a Sharpie would work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty!!! I'm pinning these notes! :)

    ReplyDelete