Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

First projects in the new home - Tufted Headboard

After tackling the Living Room, we moved on to crafting a tufted headboard for my Guest Bedroom.  I've been wanting to do this for a while ever since I saw it on centsational girl's site.  This is really easy, and not at all pricey.  Here's our list of materials:

1 sheet of 1/2" plywood - Our's cost $17.00, and they cut it for free at Home Depot.
1-2" foam, cut to size - Bought at Hobby Lobby for $17.00
spray adhesive - Hobby Lobby - $5.00
batting - Hobby Lobby - $10.00
staple gun - You can buy them cheap, but I borrowed my Father-in-Law's until I get my own.
Darning Needle and Thread - Darning needles are just longer and easier to thread.
Button making kit - Hobby Lobby - $5.00
Drill with drill bits
D-Ring picture holders

I do regret that I didn't take step by step pictures, but if you want to know how to do it, go to centsational girl's site - but beware!  You'll get carried away!

Here's how we did it:

1. We laid out the board and measured and drilled holes for the buttons using a drill and drill bit - I don't remember what size.
2. Laid the foam  on top and cut it to size.
3. Sprayed the board with spray adhesive and applied the foam.
4. Rolled the batting  out on the floor and wrapped it around the board.  We stapled the middle sections first, making sure to pull tight.
5. Rolled the fabric over the batting and stapled to the back, middle sections first, pulled tight.


6. Made the buttons using the left over fabric.  Follow directions on the button kit.
7. Stuck needle and thread through the holes in the back, and through the button.  Pulled tight until button pulled into the foam.  Tied knots in the string, and stapled at the knot, and then pulled the string in the opposite direction, and knotting and stapling again.


8. Screw in the D-Ring Picture hangers, and hung it on the wall!






I love the way it looks, and it brings in the same ticking fabric in my quilt on the bed - that my mom made! It's coming together!

1 comment:

  1. I've just spent some time cruising through your blog. How creative and talented you are. Your house is looking beautiful! I think our blog background is the same pattern--mine red, yours black.

    ReplyDelete