Pages

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Why Texas? All about my new blog title

Ok, so if you're here, you may have noticed the overhaul of my blog.  I HOPE this will be the last time!  I've probably changed my template 10 times!  My biggest struggle with blogging has been picking a catchy name.  Every blog I follow seems to have a catchy name, and try as I might, I could never come up with one that fit my life, and what I was writing about!  Here are a few of my favorite catchy blog names:


So, these made me contemplate my title.  "Heather Michelle Ramirez"??  Really?  Original.  For days and days, I would try to come up with a name that describes my life.  I got Eric thinking for me.  Here were some of the wack-job names I came up with:

  • Heather's Haven - Hey, it's alliteration!  Eric did not like.
  • You, Me, and the Dog - I loved it - but what happens when we have a kid??
  • The Ramblings of a Ramirez - Again, alliteration, no good though.
There were many others.  Then Eric suggested "Texas Forever".  Hmmm.  I liked it.  This is from one of our favorite shows, Friday Night Lights - all about football in Texas.  I loved it, but decided to tweak it to the above: A Taste of the Texas Life.  So now that I have my new name, here are some reasons it fits me, and why I love Texas so much:

  • Texas Football - grew up with it.
  • Texas has the BEST rodeos.  I went to a few in Arkansas...nothin like Mesquite or Houston.
  • In Texas, people are just more courteous and polite.  They know (most all do, and those who don't aren't from here) what the left hand lane is for, and move over for you.  In the grocery store, they let you pass.
  • UM, Texas Bar-B-Q.
  • TEX-MEX.
  • We have the most pride in our state.  I mean, what other state says the pledge to their state flag right after the American pledge in school?? "Honor the Texas flag, I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one state, under God, ONE, and Indivisible.
  • Bluebonnets!  Where else do people stop on the side of the highway to take family pictures??
  • The Alamo - Just our story.  I love to be able to teach Texas history, and take my Fourth graders to Austin for our field trip - and all day field trip by the way.
  • Blue Bell Ice Cream
  • Trucks!  I love coming into Texas and seeing a huge increase in the amount of trucks on the road. I love trucks.  They're sexy. :)
  • Texas Country - Think about it, do you hear about "Louisiana Country" or "Pennsylvania Country"??  Not unless you're talking about the countryside.  
  • Our state flag.  simple, strong.
  • There is always a breeze.
Just to name a few.  I seriously cannot imagine living anywhere else.  I love the Texas life...everything about it.  I love that I can get dressed up in boots, and it's not a costume.  I love that I can eat my favorite foods here, and I LOVE that I can tell you where I'm from WITH PRIDE!!



What do YOU love about Texas??

3 comments:

  1. Every time you post, your blog gets cuter and cuter! Love the new title--opens the door for a lot of creativity. Can't wait to see what you come up with next....

    What do I love about Texas? Above all, nearly all my family lives here, and to add to your list, winters are really quite pleasant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok first of all, thank you so much for the shout out!!! I was so excited and flattered to see my blog title in your post!! Wow! Thank you!!!

    second, your blog redo looks awesome! Super cute and Super Texan!! I love the new name and think it's perfect for you. As a fellow Texan, I totally understand all your loves for the state and everything you pointed out is totally true!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute!!! My Texas favorites include family and friends, but Tex-Mex is definitely next on the list. I love your Mesquite Rodeo shout-out!

    ReplyDelete